Should I do livestreaming or use scheduled uploaded videos?

The decision to live-stream your service or use scheduled uploaded videos is something every church that plans to conduct an online version of their Order of Service would be subjected to. While both experiences have their advantages and disadvantages, it helps to understand what approach fits for what type of Church, heavily dependent on the process and equipment they have.

P.S. We’ve prepared an exhaustive list of FAQs that might be useful for Churches trying to go online with videos. You can find it here:

1 Like

In my personal opinion, scheduled uploaded videos are a better option because they can be produced in a much-organized fashion and several glitches can also be avoided. I would like to list down the pros and cons of both live streaming video and an uploaded video.

YouTube Live

Pros

• It is observed by several content creators that YouTube Live tends to get more views as compared to uploaded videos. You can follow these threads on Reddit to see what content creators have to say.
  • Live streaming can have better engagement than uploaded videos
  • Live-streamed videos can also get instant feedback and reactions from the audience as compared to uploaded videos.

YouTube Live

Cons

• A live-streamed video later uploaded as a video on YouTube can also include unwanted parts of the event captured.
  • Viewers may not be interested in viewing videos post live streaming because of the video length.
  • Live streaming views need not mean an increase in the number of subscribers.
  • YouTube Live is more conversation-based. Without an audience, the video can lose its purpose.

Uploaded Videos

Pros

• Scheduled uploaded videos can be planned better and be more aesthetic with good editing.
  • Uploaded videos can grow on YouTube over time.
  • You can add subtitles and captions to edited videos. Videos with captions enable better cognition.
  • It allows you to edit out any unnecessary part of the event.

Uploaded Videos

Cons

• The congregation is unable to connect with the community in real-time.

**Pro Tip: On a Sunday, it is best recommended to go live on YouTube from your personal or church official channel. But to reach more people over time you can later edit small snippets of the sermon and create snackable videos that can be accessible for a larger set of believers.